Kombucha is a fermented tea that’s packed with vitamins, antioxidants and probiotics, making it both delicious and good for you.
- Active time: 10 mins
- Total time: 1h
- Fermentation: 1 month
- 16 cups (4L) filtered water
- 8 bags of tea
- 1 cup (250 ml) white sugar
- 1 SCOBY and its starter tea
During this first fermentation stage, the SCOBY will feed on sugar and liberate carbon dioxide. At this step, the gas will pass through the porous wall of the Mortier Pilon jar, resulting in a still (non-sparkling) drink. With time and as the fermentation process goes on, the drink will become less and less sweet. To do so:
- Heat 16 cups (4L) of filtered water. Place 8 bags of organic tea (preferably black or oolong) in the hot water.
- Add 1 cup of sugar and stir to dissolve. You should use white sugar, and avoid brown sugar, honey and other sweeteners.
- Let the mixture cool as your SCOBY doesn’t like the heat!
- Pour room-temperature sweetened tea into your sterilized Mortier Pilon fermentation jar.
- Add a scoby and it's starter tea.
- Cover and let sit for a week, then taste. For a drink that’s less sweet, let sit for another few days or up to 2 weeks.
The SCOBY feeds on the sugar and the gas is evacuated through the jar’s porous wall.